Friday, September 24, 2010

Detachment

This morning I was out early with my dog.  It was still dark.  Patiently waiting for him to do his business, I heard crackling sounds in the woods behind our house.  I listened carefully trying to figure out what it was.  Finally, after an acorn fell right in front of me, I realized that the crackling was the sound of acorns falling off the trees.  We have lived here for over 7 years and I must admit, I had never heard the acorns hitting the branches and popping onto the ground before.

What was different today? 

I was quiet.  It was early and I had just woken up with no thoughts in my head but to take the dog out.  I was not being impatient with him, hoping he’d get done quickly, so we could go back in.  I was not planning my day and going over all the details.  I was just there, quiet in the back yard.  I was still and the acorns were loud! 

I wondered how many other times had I not heard the noises outside too overwhelmed with the noises inside.

I came in comforted.  In a strange way it was comforting knowing that life was happening out there without my interference.  I was not needed in any way.  Soon the leaves will change color and start falling and I may or may not hear all of that and it won’t matter, because life goes on, change happens, and I am not needed.
 
There might have been a time when this thought would have disturbed me.  These days, it is a blessing to be able to get quiet enough to hear the sounds of life without getting personal about it.  It does not mean I am getting old, it isn’t about me.  It does not mean I am going crazy, it isn’t about me.  In fact, this understanding that none of it is about me, gives me great comfort and joy.
 
It gets better: it isn’t about me and it has never been about me!  I love this.  This is detachment.  This is the moment in yoga when everything stops and you feel wonderful.  This is the moment in meditation when you are fully present and it is all so effortless.  And I got here while my dog was doing his doo doo in the grass two steps away from me!  I guess the path to enlightenment is different for all of us…

Questions to Ponder:
1.     Have you ever been amazed at the ordinary things (a leaf, the shape of a branch, the sound of birds, etc.) when out in nature?  How long does the sense of wonder last?
2.    What does detachment mean to you? 
3.    Imagine a situation where you are involved in some kind of human drama, what would happen if you believed that it had nothing to do with you?

Spiritual life coaching is about learning skills like detachment in order to live a more satisfying and fulfilling life.  If you’d like to learn more about how spiritual life coaching can help enhance your well being and reduce stress in your life, please don’t hesitate to contact me.  I work with people on all different kinds of paths with ultimately the same goal.

No comments: